14 TRAIN STATIONS AND 3 JEEPNEYS

7:41:00 AM


“I go to seek a Great Perhaps”
-       François Rabelais

       When my professor told us that we had to ride the Philippine National Railways (PNR) for our next blog post, I actually felt excited but at the same time, scared. I was really thrilled to the point that I thought of going alone and I was already imagining a couple of scenarios in my head but then, I snapped back to my senses that if I did, I am a hundred percent sure that my friends and family would probably never see me again.

          Last Saturday, September 24, 2016, while I was having my brunch, I told my mom that I have to ride the PNR for one of my classes. She IMMEDIATELY asked me to look up the schedule, take a bath, and get dressed. I was honestly not complaining because this week is actually quite hectic for me so the earlier, the better. I dragged my mom, a first timer as well, along with me because knowing her, she would not allow me to go alone but I also did not want to go with my friends either. I wanted my first experience to be somewhat just my own but I would always be “g” if ever they want to ride it again. To my mom, it was just her daughter’s requirement for school but to me, it is a different story.

       I dressed up casually, like something that I would normally wear to school when I’m too fatigued to mix and match clothes because I did not want to draw attention, invite snatchers and all the other bad guys out there. I wore my trusty white converse, black pedal, black and white striped top, and a little black bag just for my phone.


          My mom and I took the Light Rail Transit 1 (LRT1) from Pedro Gil to Blumentritt.  It was not my first time to ride the LRT but I probably rode it less than ten times. It was a Saturday so I was expecting a good amount of people since based on experience, Sundays are the best days to ride trains because there are fewer people. The LRT was not as jam-packed or what I would refer to as “sardines” but there was this lady who stood in front of me and I was almost eating her hair that was tied in a ponytail (YES, THAT’S HOW CLOSE SHE WAS) so I just decided to step back because eating hair for late lunch was not a part of my agenda for that day, or in any day.

scene from Divergent (ctto)
another scene from Divergent (ctto)
       It was my first time to ride the PNR so I imagined that it would look like a couple of scenes from the Divergent movie where the dauntless faction had to jump on and off the train (OA, I know) because I heard that on some stations, there are no platforms to safely step on and that the rails of the train are actually being stolen in some routes. I knew that it was very sketchy and always full because of the affordable fare and also because we would always pass by a PNR station whenever we are going back to manila coming from the province. With all honesty, never in my life would I have thought that there would come a point that I would have to ride the PNR. It never really crossed my mind, not even once.


      When I stepped off LRT 1 Blumetritt Station and saw the PNR railroad, it really had that Divergent vibe to it and cars, even people just easily cross it. We had to wait for around 15 minutes since the guard was not allowing people to buy tickets anymore because there were already a lot of people on the platform.


       While waiting, I saw this dog and my heart broke because having a dog, and being a dog lover, it was really disturbing to see any dog, or even other animals, in this kind of situation. I thought that the dog just got stuck in that position but when I looked closely, the dog’s neck was actually chained tightly to the wood. It seemed like he (assuming the dog’s a boy), was having a difficulty in breathing and his ribs were also visible. My mom decided to give the dog a cup of water and the dog was very thirsty and probably really hungry too. There were no signs of the dog’s owner but somebody without a heart probably did this to that poor dog and I honestly could not forget this dog. I even attempted to message PAWS Philippines but I read on their FAQs that they cannot accommodate all the animals on the streets. There is no way that I could take the dog home with me but I hope and pray that there is a kind soul who would do that.

10 pesos from Blumentritt to San Andres



Renovation of the platforms.
Panoramic View.
On one side, it was sunny and on the other, it was already raining.
     After that, the guard finally let the people buy tickets and then it started raining, how lucky of me. People sat on the platform while we were waiting for the train to arrive. The platform was big and wide enough for the people and it was even being renovated. I was anxious because I felt like all eyes were on me since I was taking lots of photos of the surroundings.


The trains finally arrived at exactly 2:11pm and I did not know that the two trains, going north and south, actually stops at the same time. The trains looked old and rusty, like it would stall anytime.


      When I got inside, it was actually spacious because my mom said that the Blumentritt station is the easiest station to ride the PNR since it is the second to the last station before Tutuban. The interior was pretty okay. There were overhead compartments, there were enough pivoted grab handles, the seats looked comfy and cushioned, and the windows have wires on it, which I didn’t like because it made me feel a little claustrophobic.


       All the seats were taken but only a few people were standing. What I noticed was unlike in the LRT, people riding the PNR have a lot of baggage with them. Some have big plastics, large bags, and huge balikbayan boxes. I stood the entire train ride and a boy, most probably a grade-schooler, offered my mom a seat and she even asked questions to other people and they willingly replied, with a smile even. I took lots of pictures and once again, I felt anxious because someone might scold me for doing so. I feared that my phone might be stolen but I observed the people inside, even in LRT, they could not be bothered about it so it did not bother me that much either but I still stayed vigilant and alert because we never really know.

   Since the PNR is on the ground, the places where the train is passing through is actually more realistic. In a sense that it gives you an insight on what really life is like for a normal Filipino citizen. People call the sides of the trains as their homes, they make whatever they can into a house.

time lapse of people going inside the train at one of the stations.

      As we were getting near our destination, it rained harder so the people entering had wet umbrellas with them and my clothes also got wet because the people standing around me were soaked. The train got fuller and fuller on every stop and I observed the people and wondered what they were thinking and feeling. Some were probably really excited to reunite with their loved ones, a few were just randomly going somewhere, and others were definitely exhausted and going home from school.


     I also could not help but wonder since I decided to blend in, I questioned myself. In a sea full of people, what makes me different? What makes me unique? What makes me stand out? What makes me…well… me?


     Then we reached our destination, from Blumentritt so San Andres Station. My mom and I were soaked since it was still raining hard when we arrived. We rode a jeep to somewhere in San Andres and we got kind of lost. See, I’m with my mom already but we still got lost. We asked the guard of Banco De Oro for directions and there was a tent beside it with a guy advertising something and he told us that we could stay there while we were waiting for another jeep. We had to make a quick stop at the Paco Market since my mom had to buy something from there and then we rode another jeep and we finally arrived home.

       Over all, I think that it was a good experience. I have to agree with one of my professors though, that we Filipinos, as a culture, do not give emphasis on the proxemics and value of personal space because we are used to these situations not only in trains but also in elevators. Basta may espasyo, sampu pa ang kasya, parang jeep lang.

       It was really one for the books because all my life, as an introvert, I like to keep my personal space really big. I have been confined to the four walls of my comfort zone and I always attempt to leave but every time I try, I chicken out the last minute. Despite all my worries and fears like my phone getting snatched off my hands, there were people who are still kind enough to help in this day of age.


During that day, I went home with my heart full and head full of realizations and memories that I would carry with me until my last breath.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe